Sunday, August 12, 2012

Prompt #2


The Prompt: I pushed past people, ignoring their complaints. I tripped and stumbled a couple of times, but righted myself. I could hear him shouting behind me, running to catch up.


I darted around the side of the building, panting hard. My heart beat fast in my chest as I tried to catch my breath. I could hear the sounds of the people talking and laughing as though nothing had happened.

Footsteps drew closer to where I was hiding and I held my breath, hoping it wasn’t him. He couldn’t have found me yet. A child’s laugh erupted from just a few yards away and I let out a sigh of relief. I was safe, for now.

I waited another few minutes and shakily pulled out my cell phone, texting Ike to come pick me up. I didn’t tell him what had happened because I knew he’d disapprove. I’d promised him more than once that all of this would stop. Maybe I’d even meant it at one point.

It felt like ages later before Ike arrived in his van. I could have walked in that time, but my legs were still shaking. I’d never had such a close call. My heart wouldn’t slow down and I was beginning to worry if that was normal.

I climbed in beside Ike and he frowned at me. “You alright?”

“Just bored,” I said flippantly, rolling my eyes. “There’s nothing to do in this stupid town.”

He shook his head. Ike never liked it when I complained about Seaside Haven. He’d moved here more recently than I had, but for some inconceivable reason he actually liked the place. “Whatever,” I muttered.

My heart was beginning to slow which was good because I didn’t know how much longer I could fake it to Ike.  He always seemed to know what I was thinking and feeling and lying to him was too difficult to make it worthwhile.

“What were you doing over at Juniper’s?” Ike asked, naming the flower shop he’d picked me up at. I was confused for a moment before I remembered that I’d run there after nearly being caught.

“Uh nothing. I was just bored and looking for something to do,” I lied. I didn’t know what else to say and made up for it by looking out the window. “Does everything here have to look identical?”

“Were you at the mall?” Ike asked. My face flushed a deep pink. He glanced over at me and scowled. “You were, weren’t you? I thought you were going to stop!”

I looked down at my lap, suddenly embarrassed. Ike was the only one who could do that to me. “It’s not what you think,” I muttered.

“So I’m not your getaway driver?” He snapped. I shook my head, although in reality that was exactly what he was. “This is great, Leah. You’ve practically turned me into a criminal as well.”

We rode the rest of the way in silence and once outside my house Ike slammed on the brakes. “Don’t call me again to bail you out. I’m not getting in trouble because of your little habit.”

Tears stung my eyes, but I turned away so he wouldn’t see them. “Like I need your help. I only called you because I was too lazy to walk.”

I didn’t have to turn around to know that Ike’s face was bright red with anger. The van took off with the wheels almost squealing and he was halfway down the road before I turned to look.

I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand and stumbled into the house before I reached into my purse and pulled out the cause for this whole mess. Two pink sparkly butterfly earrings that I’d grabbed from a display shelf in the store.

I didn’t even have pierced ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment